[tweetmeme source=”helpmerhonda11″ only_single=false]If you were lucky, you had the chance to hear Gary Vaynerchuk in person (85 Broads event, NYC chapter).
I could tell you about Gary V. the presenter… smart! funny! riveting! …but I want to focus on his ideas. As homage to his passion for the Jets, here are “12 Touchdowns from Gary V”, themes from his presentation (actually, a baker’s dozen, for anyone paying attention):
- Build your personal brand: Gary V’s entire business was built on smart use of social media. We have these same tools at our disposal. Gary V. has 850,000 fans on twitter….enough said.
- Where are the eyeballs going? It is not enough to know where people are today. Stay one step ahead. (Hint: mobile). What are 13-17 yr. olds doing? Texting, not using the phone!!! It’s convenient, and it’s the way they live.
- The Dawn of Pull Marketing: Newsflash! Push had its day. Now, learn to use Pull.
- Virtual Currency:I have no freakin’ idea what this is…I don’t play Farmville, or know what mechanical turk is, either…but Gary V. mentioned them, so you can be damn sure I’m going to find out:)
- The intersection of gaming and social: If you haven’t paid attention to Foursquare and GoWalla, you should.
- “I’ll Take Engagement for $100, Alex“ You can’t buy relationships. It’s not about what you say; listen, and focus on helping people. On Facebook and Twitter, on forums, ning, etc., you create relationships and build your online community one by one.
- Same circus, different clowns: Ideeli, Rue la la, Gilt, Groupon, etc. all share a basic business model. Learn from it.
- Social search? It’s hard to imagine that someone will knock Google off it’s throne, but eventually, someone will.
- A Tale of Branding: Sharks vs. Hippos. Too long to include here, but leave a comment or send me a message if you want the details. I just loved this story!
- Keep your day job: Work your new passion 7pm – 2 am. Anyone can create a content-based biz: be authentic, execute against your DNA, create your fanbase, leverage it (P.S.: online cost of entry is low). Success doesn’t happen overnight, so until you passion pays off, keep the paycheck! Smarter words were never spoken.
- “I’m too old to use new-fangled technology”: “You weren’t born driving, either. Figure it out!!! ( loved that one-liner, too, Gary V).
- Give people the baker’s dozen: small town business caring = success. You don’t have to be small…businesses can scale online, without the bricks and mortar…but the equity created by caring, not price, will win the day.
If this list resonates, look for Gary V’s new book “The Thank You Economy”, or better yet, go hear him if you have the chance. Helpful links: Gary Vaynerchuk on You Tube; Gary Vaynerchuk Book; Gary Vaynerchuk Website.