1. Brand your profile picture and create a branded welcome tab … and then use “settings” to bring first time visitors to that tab.
Make sure you include a call to action, and tell them why they should “like” your page!
2. Claim your customized URL after your first 25 fans, by navigating to :
3. Import your blog and share your content on twitter, by using the appropriate Facebook apps designed for these purposes:
http://www.facebook.com/twitter/ , and either Networked blogs or notes to import your blog feed.
4. Add a tab to promote your mailing list (constant contact has an easy to install “Join my list” app for this).
5. Add a link to your fan page in the mini-bio section of your personal profile (under your profile pic)…
Be sure to format with the http:// so it’s clickable.
6. Mention your fan page in your personal profile status updates from time to time.
Include the URL to your fan page and when Facebook goes to pull in the link, click the “X” so it posts as a status update and not a link.
7. Most importantly…be interesting and helpful to your target audience. Ask interesting questions, and occasionally use Facebook promotions to create excitement on your page and make it worthwhile for people to become fans.
Important note: Pay attention to privacy!!! If your business is going to be active on Facebook, and your page is linked to your personal profile, make sure you protect your personal privacy. Check out this article on Facebook privacy settings .
Make sure you adjust your settings so that personal information is only visible to friends, if that is a concern.
A fully tricked out Facebook page is of little use if you do not promote your page to get new fans. Check out Part 2 of this post for further suggestions to grow your fanbase and promote your business on Facebook, and share your favorite tips and techniques in the comments!
(Note: credit goes to Mari Smith and the guys at We Teach Facebook for many of these suggestions. Check out more tips on Mari’s Facebook page Resources tab , as well as the website and facebook page for WeTeachFacebook.